[AccessD] How to repair corrupt database

Susan Harkins ssharkins at setel.com
Tue May 29 13:31:42 CDT 2007

This is going to sound really odd, but I have seen it work. Open it in Excel
-- DO NOT save your mdb file as a Excel worksheet -- you'll totally destroy
it. Just open it. Then, close it. I have absolutely no idea why it sometimes
works, I just not that it does. Word of warning, it probably won't work, and
you might want to make a copy before you do this. I've never seen opening an
mdb in Excel hurt anything -- only if you save it as an xls file -- but I'd
be over-cautious.

You mentioned that in the new database, where you imported all the objects,
that it's still complaining about missing variables, etc. Does ReportX's
module have any code in it? Since you can't delete the module, try erasing
all the code, then repair. Just a thought.

Susan H.

We use a third-party database in Access 2003 in to manage our customer and
sales data.   This morning I was importing a report from a "storage"
database, and accidentally selected an extra report that I did not want.
When I noticed this extra report - call it reportX -  was being imported, I
hit 'cancel'.  And now my database is corrupt.

 ReportX does NOT show up on the reports tab.  It does, however, show up in
the modules project window, and I can even view the code attached to it;  I
cannot delete it, though.  If I try to 'trick' the app by creating a dummy
'ReportX' I get the message that 'ReportX' already exists.

 This is what I've tried so far:

 1) Decompiled the app several times, then tried to recompile.  I get
repeated errors that 'ReportX you entered in either the property sheet or
macro is misspelled or refers to a report that doesn't exist.'  After 4 or
five of those, I get 'Compile error: Module not found'.

 2) Compact/repair the database - access crashes.

 3) Running Jetcomp - error compacting database

 4) Create an empty database - import everything.  Although the import still
complains about missing 'ReportX', it seems like I'm able to successfully
import everything else.  But I can't run the app because I get weird compile
errors like 'variable not defined' or 'user defined type not defined'.  This
app is so dang convoluted to begin with that I don't even know where to look
for the basis of these errors.  It may even have to do with the fact that I
have not properly registered this version of the app - the first time you
run the installed app, it's supposed to detect your registration status and
prompt you from there;  I don't know if there is a 'manual' registration
option.

 Is there anything else I can do to save the database?   ANYTHING??

 Thanks -

Janet Erbach