[AccessD] Error 3314 (required field) - trap in form_error

Gale Perez galeper at gmail.com
Tue May 29 15:59:44 CDT 2007

Hi again!

I tried Steve's method as I was hoping for a quick fix.  It works great,
although I had a few things I wanted to do that I may not be able to with
this method.  One thing is that I'd like to set focus on the required field
after the message, and to drop down if it's a combo box.  I'd also like to
replace the standard Access title in the message box with my own, and I
don't know if that's possible using this method without writing a function
containing the validation rule & text and the components of the message
box.

The third thing is a form-subform problem:  I'm using a subform and although
the Validation Rule works beautifully on the main form and subform once they
are dirty, it allows you to move to a new main form record without filling
out any of the subform fields (I guess because it only invokes the rule once
it sees the record as dirty?)  I tried editing one of the subform fields (a
date field which is automatically entered anyway) in the main form's On
Dirty and Before Update events, but it started processing the subform's
Validation Rules before all of the main form's field were filled in first
case and immediately gave a required field message when I move from form to
subform in the second case.  Have you run against this problem as well?

Any thoughts woud be very appreciated.  It is great to see so many ways of
tackling this issue.  I'm also checking out Dan's and A.D.'s suggestions.

Thank you,

Gale