[AccessD] VBA abandoned in Office 2008 for Mac

Ken Ismert kismert at gmail.com
Thu May 31 11:19:13 CDT 2007

(Mark)
 > Pardon my ignorance...but what does this mean for Access???
 > Almost everything I do in Access relies on VBA?

Well, it means, sooner or later, that you will either have to content
yourself with the dwindling VBA legacy market, learn the new languages
and development platform that run under the new Access, or learn
completely new skills and move to some other market.

(Jim)
 > If not VBA, what will it run? I'm not sure that the article indicates
 > what everyone is thinking; that this is the end of VBA. It just says that
 > Microsoft doesn't want to support VBA on the Mac.

The new Office, including Access, will run under .NET. MS has been
pushing the .NET-based replacement for VBA for some time. This is also
the main technical reason Applescript is being pushed for Mac Office:
the .NET framework doesn't run on OS X.

In the article, some Apple dude plainly states that MS will sunset VBA
some years hence on Windows versions of Office. Now, that's not an
official pronouncement, but it is worth noting. MS might delay the
demise of VBA if they get significant pushback (but really, what are the
chances of them listening to their base?), but with certainty, they will
do away with VBA.

I think most of us will wind up following Charlotte's path, and use .NET
to develop db apps, with or without Access. I chose PHP/MySQL/Linux,
mostly because that's where my job took me, and partly because I'm lazy
and that stuff has a much lower learning curve.

(Marty)
 > The "mummy's curse" that killed Lord Carnarvon during the
 > excavation of King Tut's tomb was actually a VBA script.

That's hilarious!

(Arthur)
 > I HATE this ribbon s**t.

That ribbon is MS's 'New Coke': it is carefully user-tested, and ignores
the desires and wishes of the vast bulk of their audience. Time will
tell if it suffers the same fate as New Coke.

-Ken