[AccessD] A2K and Office 2003

Jennifer Gross jengross at gte.net
Thu Nov 1 18:55:22 CDT 2007

Hi John,

It turns out, after getting more of the story from the user, that she is
running into something that I have run into as well.  It also turns out
that it is not the Tools > Office Links export to Excel, but the exports
that I have coded.  They work fine the first couple of times that you
run them in one session, but after say 10 exports in one sitting, if you
have closed Excel between exports, a bad copy of Excel hangs around and
won't let the next export happen.  I run into this problem when testing
Access to Excel code, because I am over and over again exporting to
Excel.  Only a re-boot will get rid of that pesky Excel ghost.  The
trick I have found is to keep Excel open - I can close the workbooks,
but have to leave the mother ship open.

So, one of the lessons here is when the new network guy tells you that
the users can't export to Excel anymore and since A2K and Excel 2003
don't play nice together how much of a problem would it be to move your
code to Access 2003?  I can turn to my mantra - "I bill by the hour" -
and jump at the chance to re-code and debug and deal with the new
'features' of Access 2003, on a (billable) hourly basis.  Or, I can save
myself the headache and do my due diligence and dig to find out what is
really going on.  Problem solved, when you are doing 30 exports to Excel
in one sitting, don't close Excel.  I don't know what causes that and
years ago gave up trying to figure out why it happens.

I know this doesn't help your issue John, but it feels good to get it
out.

Jennifer