[AccessD] Access application to WEb Based

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Thu Nov 15 09:39:05 CST 2007

Depends on how complex it is, and how dependant you would be on client
side code.

For example,  recording data into a table is a server side process.
Selecting a value in one combo box, to display different values in
another, while that can be done on the server side, it would really be a
client side process.

If there's a lot of client side stuff, you'll need to figure out how to
do it.  Personally, I have a few apps like that, where I know the end
users all use IE, so I can get away with programming everything in
VBScript.  Pretty easy.  Unknown browsers, and you better go with
Javascript.  There's also the option of ASP.Net, which provides a
development environment that will appear a lot like access.

I mainly build web interfaces, though I have converted a handful to web
based applications.  I'm sorry I can't give you a solid ratio of
development time, but it's really going to depend on how the initial
database is designed.  I did a few that were mainly unbound (there were
classes and collection that acted as a business layer).  Those were very
easy, because it was just a matter of building a web interface on top of
that business layer, not too much different then just creating new
forms/reports.  In a completely bound interface, more time consuming,
because then you are basically starting from scratch.

Drew