[AccessD] OT: make volume bootable

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Nov 20 11:28:54 CST 2007

Michael,

I am not sure I understand.  I have a system with the OS itself on a raid
drive, running on a dedicated raid controller card.  That works exactly as
expected and I like it - raid 6 protection etc.  I also have a pair of older
drives which probably (the details are hazy now) had the OS on them
originally, which run off of the raid controller on the motherboard.  These
two disks form a raid 1 array (mirrored) with nothing visible on it, and yes
I have told windows explorer to show system and hidden files.  However if I
disconnect these two older drives from the motherboard (remove power or
remove the SATA connector) windows does not boot.

IIRC there is a master boot record that is written to a drive that is where
windows goes for the very first "bootstrap" code.  It then tells windows
where the rest of the OS is located.  I thought there was a "sys" command
(in the old days anyway) that would write this master boot record and
perhaps a couple of other files to a hard disk and that you could just "sys"
a drive to make it the drive with that MBR stuff.  If I can do that to the
C: drive on the Areca dedicated raid card then I could boot directly off of
that C: drive and get rid of these two older drives.  If they ever fail I am
doomed.  Yea they are raid one but I do NOT want to be trying to rebuild a
mirror just for some hidden MBR that should have been moved long ago.

Unfortunately I do not know as much about that stuff as I once did and have
so far been unable to discover how to change from "booting" off these older
drives to booting off the new.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting