[AccessD] Comparing date and time

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Nov 26 17:10:54 CST 2007

No problem, glad you resolved it already.

Just an FYI, one handy trick with a query is that you can 'replace' a
table with it.  For example:

If you have a table called tblSomething with a Date field and a Time
field, you can rename your table to tblSomethingActual then build a
query named tblSomething with this:

SELECT *, DateField + TimeField AS CompleteDateTime FROM
tblSomethingActual

By renaming the original table to something else, and naming the query
to the original table name, everything that used to use that table will
now use the query, and now that unified field is available for that
'table'.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of David Emerson
Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 2:56 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Comparing date and time

Thanks for the explanation Drew - it is always nice to know why I am
doing something :-)

At 27/11/2007, you wrote:
>Sorry to chime in here late, but if these are true date/time fields,
>then you need to add them, not 'join' them.  In a date/time field, the
>data is stored as a double, the integer portion is the date, the
decimal
>portion is the time.  To join a date and time together, you just add
>them.  Joining them like text requires that they are represented by
text
>(which is more work, because you are converting from numbers to text,
>then back to numbers)
>
>Drew

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI BusinessSensitve material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.