[AccessD] OT: Friday (weekend) fun: Erlang

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Nov 30 10:24:06 CST 2007

LOL, think back Lambert.  In 1982 I purchased a dual 8" floppy which
provided me with 1 mb of data storage per drive.  $600 Paid.

I am certainly not buying these solid state disks, simply noting that they
are finally available.  However last year I paid $125 for a board and $100 /
gigabyte to build a 4 gig ram drive because I needed it.  The access speed
was key to getting double the performance out of an address validation
system.  That is $500 for 4 gigs, which I purchased less than 2 years ago,
and it did exactly what I needed and paid for itself 10 times over.  These
new drives are $430 for a 32 gig drive that is plug in compatible with my
IDE port.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147021

And how much was your example hard disk 2 years ago?

These flash disks will probably never replace rotating media everywhere, but
they are actually a great medium for certain uses.  Imagine a data logger on
low powered system, or in a car, logging data from the car's engine, or in
an airplane logging data, or in a low power laptop.  There are many places
where the unreliability of rotating media just makes them risky to use.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting