[AccessD] Developer Extensions and Product Code - Installation Key

Jennifer Gross jengross at gte.net
Tue Oct 9 12:35:21 CDT 2007

Hi Julie,

The way that I have handled restricting the number of installations is
by using a start up form that requires the user to enter a serial number
that we provide, then register the software on our website through the
software, the website kicks back an unlock code that is generated
through an algorithm that takes incorporates the serial number.  The
website only allows registration of each serial number once.  I use
registry settings to track date of install, serial number, etc.  All of
that is set during the installation.

As I have seen from the way that major software manufacturers deal with
piracy, there is no easy way to restrict the number of installs.
Microsoft themselves has spent years and a lot of money to come up with
their authentication scheme - which most high school kids can get
around.  The best we can do is make it difficult.  I do this with serial
numbers and required website registration through the software.

Also, as an aside, I stopped using Microsoft's packaging for
distribution with Access 97.  I now use SageKey scripts with Wise
Installer.  I haven't even bothered to try Microsoft's scripts since I
found SageKey.  They do a fantastic job, installing minimal extra stuff
(like the mandatory Internet Explorer install that is required to
distribute A2K runtime - Microsoft installs IE automatically and makes
it the default browser, while SageKey checks to see if any IE is already
installed, and if not, installs IE 3 I think, a very small installation,
and does not change the default browser)  www.sagekey.com

Jennifer