[AccessD] Action Pack, now with special edition toolkit for Web Solution Providers

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Oct 12 08:22:37 CDT 2007

LOL.  I hear you Susan.  As for "I must have...", nope, not true.  SQL
Server 2005 uses the .net framework but the programming language and
environment layers are not embedded in SQL Server.

You can get VB.Net Express for free from a download on MS site.

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/express/aa718406.aspx

That is a programming environment that mimics Visual Studio.Net.  In fact is
it so close in look and feel that it may be a subset.  There are some subtle
programming differences that prevent VB.Net Express programs from being
easily portable to the full on version, but the express version will allow
you to get your feet wet for free, and in fact it allows you to write full
on VB.Net programs for free.  Highly recommended for the people who do not
intend to develop industrial grade applications in .Net but would like to
see / learn the VB.Net syntax and even write programs in it.  It is simpler
than the Visual Studio environment but will still be a learning curve.

OTOH it has been easy for developers to get free STANDARD versions of Visual
Studio.Net.  I got one by attending a product event back when SQL Server
2005 was being introduced.  I also got one for watching a pair of videos on
the MS site.  I think the same kind of thing is happening now for the VS2008
version and I will be doing that when I discover how.

Move your questions over to the VB list and you can get a lot of help there.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting