[AccessD] Colby's Error Handler Builder

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Oct 22 11:11:47 CDT 2007

The new version is a DLL I believe.  When I said "register" I meant the DLL.
There is a "how to use this" text file in the zip with the dll.  You
register the dll.  It is then usable with ALL of the office applications
that use the VBA editor, from inside of the VBA editor.  IOW you can use it
to insert error handlers in modules in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and of course
Access.

The only thing to be aware of is that it will complain IF:

You open TWO office applications BEFORE attempting to use the error handler.
Essentially it cannot discover which application to hook into.  If however
you open some application, let's say Word, then open a module in Word and
insert an error handler in any function in Word, and then you open Excel,
you will be able to continue to insert error handlers in Word, but you will
not be able to insert error handlers in Excel or in fact in any Office
application opened after the first.

This is also the case (and more confusing) if you open two instances of
Access.

So the rule is, open the application that you want to insert an error
handler in.  Insert an error handler in any function.  Open any other Office
application as desired.  You will still be able to insert error handlers in
that first application.

IF you happen to open two Office applications and then want to insert an
error handler IN EITHER ONE OF THEM, you must close all but the one you want
to insert error handlers in, insert at least one error handler in that
application, and then you may open any Office application you wish and still
insert error handlers in that first application.

It appears that the error handler insertion wizard "hooks into" one and only
one instance of any Office application (specifically the editor), and if
there are more than one Office applications open before you try to use it,
it cannot figure out which to hook into.

Other than that it works wonderfully, and does not require a reference to
the VBE IDE library as the "native" version did.

BTW I did not port this to VB6 and I do not even have the source at my
finger tips, though I may be able to dig it up.

Let me know if you have any problems.

NO IDEA whether it works with 2007.  It does work with 2003 and previous.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting