[AccessD] e-mail plug-in needed

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Tue Oct 30 13:27:37 CDT 2007

Hi William

> keep an audit trail of addresses rejected by the receiving isp

That is "tuff" ... communication with the receiving SMTP server may fail or be delayed as well.
This is the job of an SMTP server and I don't think you really wish to build such an animal.

However, if you and the client need to operate at this serious level, I can strongly recommend hMailServer:

  http://www.hmailserver.com/

This is a wonderful product, free and open-source, which will run on the Windows Server you love so much and with SQL Server or MySQL as the datastore.
What separate it from many other offerings are the COM API and the ability to be controlled via DCOM:

  http://www.hmailserver.com/documentation/?page=com_objects

and it is easy to install and configure.

If this is too hardcore, an option might be to use CDOSYS and connect to the SMTP Service of IIS at a Windows Server OS. On these (contrary to workstation OS) you have the added feature of ODBC access to the SMTP log.

/gustav

>>> wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com 30-10-2007 18:46 >>>
...group

...I need to get a full blown e-mail app running quickly in Access 2003
...looking at the FMS plug-in but it is only a partial solution and the code
is locked ...need to be able do everything it does plus keep an audit trail
of addresses rejected by the receiving isp and offer the user the ability to
respond to that information.

...any ideas, suggestions, experence, recommendations, or references
appreciated

William