[AccessD] Access to VB.Net

Gmail max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 12:34:27 CDT 2007

Hi Shamil

This link you provided took me into a LONG reading excursion which was very
useful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_Basic_for_Applications

Quote from Wikepedia..
Like all .NET languages, programs written in VB.NET require the .NET
framework to execute
UnQuote

Does this mean/infer that .NET framework is present/exists on all hosting
platforms for web apps.
What if I want to host my own vb.net app on my own server- do I have to have
.NET framework running on that Server and if so, presumably I tell the Web
Server software to recognise it (I use Abyss X2 which appears to have this
facility).  If I want it to run on a Hosted Server, can I assume that the
ISP will be able to run such an app? Or is it something that I have to
expressly ask for (just trying to get a feel for how widely it is
implemented; ie. I know that ASP, PERL, etc is widely supported).

Reading the other links does seem to indicate that VB will be deprectated
(although they don't say so directly) but in the longer term and not the
shorter term, so from that point of view, staying with VB/VBA is ok for some
time to come.  But these (VB) products do not produce web-enabled apps -
which is, of course, where .net come in.

So, If I were to go with say VB2008 Beta then it would mean that I did not
have a suitable platform to rapid/ease of development and would be left
struggling a bit.  If  this is correct then it  makes sense to obtain the
Visual Studio 2005 with the current vb.net support (I don't think I will be
anywhere near to needing the extra enhancements of 2008 beta for some time
to come) and Charlottes statement "Learning on a beta with no prior
experience in the language is doing the hard way IMO." certainly makes sense
to me.

I should say that the only reason I want to avoid ASP is purely because it
is yet another learning curve and for no other reason.  One thing at a time
will do for me.  As we say "slowly slowly catchee monkey".  When I have
mastered VB.Net (say a weekend or two <g>) then I will have another think.

Thanks for all  the input and advice received and a big thanks Shamil for
taking all that time to give me such a good insight.

Regards
Max