[AccessD] Database Patent

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 11:05:48 CDT 2007

Thanks Charlotte -- I wanted to say the same thing days ago, but just
listened instead. I'm in a rather unique position because I write about
code. You can't copyright code, although... some will tell you can. You can
copyright the method in which you share the code -- like a recipe, but you
can't copyright the actual code. Authors and developers that tell you they
own code and warn you that if you can't use it independently of them are
blowing smoke. Applications and solutions are definitely copyrightable, but
even then, all someone has to do is change something just a bit, and
wa-la... a new solution. We see this everyday on this list -- given the same
problem, we see different solutions, but often, the same exact solution from
several people. You can't claim that as your own, although you can claim the
finished product as your own and even protect it through licensing.

A patent really seems like overkill on any kind of code-dependent solution,
but not sure it even matters. Nicholas Roosevelt, not Robert Fulton,
invented and even patented the side paddle steamboat apparatus, but nobody
knows that or even cares and he never made a dime from it because the
"technology" exploded -- to have chased it would've cost him more money than
he would've made in restitution.

I think a patent is only as good as the lawyers you can afford.

Susan H.

Jack,

Thanks for clarifying the situation. The client may have the greatest thing
since sliced bread, but it's unlikely to be unique.  Most of us don't bother
with copyright/patent applications because any competent programmer could
come up with virtually identical code for the same problem.  It isn't so
much that it's in public domain as that there are a finite number of ways to
deal effectively with a problem, and the developer community tends to share
their methods, so eventually the code is homogenized into something we could
all claim as our own.  If the client created a database engine, that's a
different product entirely, but I suspect you've been sold a pup.

Charlotte Foust