[AccessD] Database Patent

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 15:32:34 CDT 2007

I agree -- but how many of us would come up with the same exact For loop as
you? There's a difference between code and solutions.

Susan H.

Only if you copied someone's code without their consent.

When we co-wrote articles, we were both compensated for our contributions.
If you were to write an article based on code someone posted on here, while
it might be uncouth to not give credit, the code was posted to a public
forum, with no copyright restrictions.  If you were to make money off such
an article, legally, the person who wrote the code could fight for
compensation/credit, since it was copyrighted as they wrote it.

Just like words in a story, code in a program is protected by copyright.

For i=1 to 100
	Debug.print i
Next i

That would be hard to fight for credit, just like 'The sky is blue.'
Would be hard to fight for credit.  However, a full blown function or
application is just as protected as a story.  Now, you could write a story
about a little girl and three bears.  And as long as YOU wrote the story,
with your style, thoughts, ideas, etc. it would be your story.  I could also
write about a little girl and three bears, and as long as I wrote it, with
my style, thoughts, ideas, etc. it would be MY story.  If my story was
really identical to yours, then there could be a copyright battle.  Take
movies, how many movies have identical plots, characters, etc.  There has to
be enough of it that is different otherwise it would be plagiarism.

Drew