[AccessD] Mucking around

Robert L. Stewart robert at webedb.com
Fri Sep 28 09:05:34 CDT 2007

Max,

What you would normally have is an ETL (Extract-Transform-Load) process
that would get the data from the transactional system and load it into
the mart/warehouse. The data is usually transformed in some way. In the
dimension tables, all of the associated tables to the main dimension
are used to feed in the additional de-normalized data into the single
dimension table. If you do not do this, it is called snowflaking. And,
this causes poor performance from the mart/warehouse.

Marts/warehouses are not designed for efficient data storage. They are
designed for the most effective reporting possible. In some cases,
summarizing years of data into a few thousand records. No data entry
would ever be done to the mart/warehouse tables. They are always
loaded via the ETL processes defined as part of the overall strategy
the business wants to use for reporting.

I am also glad that I was able to explain it so that you were able to
get the concepts. It is usually difficult for "transactional" people
to get the concepts of a true star schema design. And they almost
always want to build snowflake schemas instead of true stars.

Robert