[AccessD] Mucking around

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Fri Sep 28 13:48:33 CDT 2007

It goes through "transformation" from normalized data into the data
warehouse. Basic data elements into product.

Think of it as similar to using tables to create a query. In turn the query
may be used to create a report. The data is the same but presented in the
format needed for the purpose of creating a report and then being observed
by people. The query is no way to store data but is a way to combine data
into the use it serves at that moment. The report is no way to store data
but is a way to present it in a format that is human friendly.

Likewise a data warehouse is a specific use (product) of the basic data that
presents it - or transforms it - into a different format. Not a format that
you would want to store it in but one that allows for the analysis done via
data warehousing.

I feel like I'm starting to sound like one of Drew's analogies ;o)