[AccessD] Mucking around

max.wanadoo at gmail.com max.wanadoo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 14:25:42 CDT 2007

Hi John,

>Terminology happens :o)

Yes, but sometime what is really simple becomes difficult to understand
because the terminogy is not understood.
I can remember when I was at school (albeit a long time ago, but I have a
good memory), I had great difficulty understanding English Grammar.  I just
couldn't understand what the teacher was saying Verbs, Adverbs, Adjectives,
past participle, etc.  This lasted for many years until, in the Army, I was
posted to Germany and had to learn German.  Then I picked it up in a flash
and became quite good in a short time, reading, writing and (accent
excepted), speaking German. Much of it gone now, sadly.

What I realised was that when I was learning German the teacher was using
English to explain German grammar and I was able to differentiate between
the German word and what the explanation of what the word meant when spoken
in English.

I then realised that the reason I couldn't understand English Grammar at
school was because the teacher was using English words to explain English
words and I couldn't differentiate  between the word and the explanations
all mixed in with his general speech, whereas when I was learning German,
the difference was obvious.
I actually learnt English Grammar by learning to speak German!  All because
of terminology.

I learnt that "To boldly go where no man has gone before" is a split
infinite and I (now) know why.

Max