[AccessD] Project Management Path

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Fri Apr 4 19:45:11 CDT 2008

I profess to be no expert but I will give a few comments on what I do know.

Most of the new applications are now web based.

The pluses are:
1. A large market, immediately.
2. Centralized control, backups and immediate updates and fixes. Clients can
access their data from anywhere.
3. You already know a number of web languages already.
4. Multiple web languages can be intregrated into a single project.

The Negative:
1. Development of infra-structure can be a major adventure.
2. Controlling and communicating far flung developers can be more than
interesting.

Overview comments and observations:
1. An infra-structure like Subversion will support remote development, MSN,
Gmail for inline talk or products like Skype and Gizmo, centralized BE
server(s).
2. Controlling the BE server with its database and web server is mandatory.
Steady and regular backups are more important than ever.
3. Front end modules should limit the use of .Net/PHP/etc that call back to
the server except for data requests and business rule processing. FE
functionality (anything to do with presentation), should be done, where
possible in JavaScript. This gives faster client performance and limits the
impact on the BE server. (Note: All the languages can run off either a MS or
Linux server... .Net through MONO).
4. Establish clear lines of responsibility for each developer. Be ready to
remove people who are not performing or are threatening the project in
various ways.
5. Having a client who is bank-rolling the project is a definite plus. Or
baring that try to set up a developer Co-op and talk everyone into investing
in it.... this can be real tricky with everyone needing a clear contract...
like who owns the code... How will compensation be distributed etc etc...

The above is nothing to do with managing a project but rather my
observations on the issues involved with web based projects which I have
been involved with a few times. Some gone off the rails immediately and
others have been very successful.

HTH
Jim