[AccessD] ldb

Catherine Blansett catherine.blansett at infocentraldata.org
Wed Apr 9 07:29:30 CDT 2008

Hi all,

I am doing some development work on a research project at a VA medical
center. I have a portion of one drive (“U-drive”) and access to a common
drive (“K-drive”) for research purposes. I developed a front-end database
and a back-end database on the “U” drive and put the back-end on the
k-drive. They function as they should. However, while I was developing,
every time I compacted the databases a copy was created and named db1…..etc.
The original version of the compacted db grew. So, I would rename the new
version and delete the old (a bit tiring). When I work with these databases
on my home computer (sans data of course) it works the way it should. This
situation at work would be bothersome, but doable, if it weren’t for the
fact that, at some time (not sure when, but generally, others are
complaining of a slow connection so suspect the system gets bogged down), it
also creates a locked file that does not allow the databases to be compacted
- “the db is being used by another”, and then gives my ID number. Once these
databases get locked, it becomes impossible to compact/rename/delete the
databases and to change the name of excel files.

So far, IT is a bit confused. They have rebooted the U drive and this
released the locks and I was able compact, delete, or whatever. But then, in
a couple of days, I am back to the same situation again. The databases still
works just fine, but they are getting much too big.

I have heard of this problem, but this is the first time I have encountered
it. Any help would be most welcomed.

Thanks in advance

CB

Checked by AVG.