[AccessD] Print Receipt with embedded escape codes

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Apr 25 03:26:57 CDT 2008

Hi Mark

> The printer needs to have Escape characters sent to it to
> control the printer for printsize, open for validation, cut receipt, etc.

This can't be done by Access. Before and after but not during the printing of the report. If you need what the escape codes can do, the native printerdriver should be able to handle that.

That said, printing a normal Access report to such a printer is painfully slow and with some delay. You will be better off writing a file directly to the printer port. It is more difficult but will save you a couple of seconds (where the customer will be waiting for the printer to print) because the printer prints at maximum speed.

If you don't want to write to the printer the "good old DOS way", an ActiveX component exists:

  http://www.top-shareware.net/raw_data_printer_component.html

I haven't worked with it so I cannot tell how it performs.

/gustav

>>> mark at compresinc.com 24-04-2008 21:10 >>>
I need to have the ability to print a receipt and then validate (print
payment date and time) on check and original bill. The printer is an Ithaca
receipt printer. The receipt needs to print upon completion of input of the
payment information and the validation will be a command button. The printer
needs to have Escape characters sent to it to control the printer for print
size, open for validation, cut receipt, etc. Any help (code examples) would
be appreciated.

Mark H Brown
Computer Resolutions Inc.
comres at rpa.net