[AccessD] Sorry for joking around

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Apr 29 21:13:18 CDT 2008

It used to be that you worked for a company, and they paid you to go to
training seminars which they paid for.  Now you are lucky (or not) to
work for a company at all.

In any event I find myself kind of "stuck" in maintenance mode as a
consultant, maintaining databases that I designed (or inherited) years
ago in Access.  I am struggling to break out of that but I feel that I
owe the companies, so I continue to support them, which takes a lot of
time.

Of course they pay me moderately well for my continuing support, but
what I do NOT want to do is continue designing NEW Access applications
which I will be stuck supporting for the rest of my life.

And so I struggle to learn "the new stuff".  One thing that working
"for" a company does often provide is a live, daily, close support
group, other people that you can go to with questions, live, in person.

These DBA email groups are close, but still not the same.  OTOH there is
almost certainly more expertise in these groups.  When the day comes
that we can literally remote in to each others computers and you can see
my code and I can see yours...

Anyway, I am loving the vb.net stuff I am doing now and learning a lot.
  I had reached the point in Access where it felt like there wasn't a
lot left that I wanted to know.  Boy howdy, there's a TON of .net stuff
left to know.  ;-)