[AccessD] Sorry for joking around

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Apr 29 22:33:39 CDT 2008

I was living in San Marcos at the time, had been there for 12 years by
then.  I was working as a Test Engineer for Stac Electronics of Stacker
data compression fame, out of Carlsbad.  They got sat on by the
Microsoft gorilla and laid off about 1/2 of the company.  I was in the
wrong half.

I never did get another permanent job, too many laid off Engineers
hanging around.  I did consulting and temp agency stuff, ended up
working a temp job down in Mexico, and eventually just moved down there
lock stock and wife, dogs and cats.

I also got involved in Access in 93 / 94 and ended up doing that as a
consultant ever since.

At that time there was no internet as we know it, just bulletin boards
and stuff.  I was a founding member of the San Diego Access Users Group,
BOD and all that stuff.  Loved that I had a place to go once a month to
get help.

My first consulting job was a database for the Ladies Auxiliary of the
Fleet Reserve Association...

http://www.la-fra.org/

which I bid $5K to do and lost soooo much money on.  the treasurer at
that time lived in Chula Vista and I about lived at her house for two
months or so.  In fact I actually bid the job well but didn't take into
account the data migration, getting the old existing data out of a
custom VB database.  That is where I lost the money.  But it was work
and I was hungry.

Those were different times.