[AccessD] Query Question

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 10:30:25 CDT 2008

Hi folks
Looking for best solution to a simple problem. It's of the "if var is
anything between x and y return this value, if anywhere between xx and yy
return that etc". I'll express it in its most basic form:

Table LKUP has fields
[RangeStart], [RangeEnd], [Result1], [Result2] and looks like this

0   14.9  1500  1700
15  24.9  2000  2500
25  99.9  2350  2900

([RangeEnd] is probably superfluous but I hope it makes the example clearer)

Table1 has (among others) field [LookupValue]

I want a query which if [LookupValue] on Table1 is anywhere between 0 and
14.9 returns 1500 and 1700 from Lkup, if it's between 15 and 24.9 returns
2000 and 2500, and anything from 25 upwards returns 2350 and 2900.

My solution is this:
SELECT Table1.[LookupValue],Max([Lkup].Result1) ,Max([Lkup].Result2)
FROM Table1 LEFT JOIN [Lkup] ON Table1.[LookupValue] >= [Lkup].[RangeStart]
GROUP BY Table1.[LookupValue];

Seems to work but because it uses Max it depends on the values in Result1
and Result2 getting larger as the lookups get larger. If they didn't then
the Max would return the wrong results (I think).

Any other, or better, ideas?

--
Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk