[AccessD] Move Data from SQL Table to Access FE Table

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Dec 8 14:51:10 CST 2008

That's what I figured when it came to not using ODBC.  Unfortunately, if
I remember right, I couldn't get the IN clause of the SQL table to use
the OLEDB driver.  Had to be an ODBC driver, but shouldn't be much of a
performance hit, if you can run the 'import' with one SQL Statement,
because you'll only get hit with the initialization of the connection,
the actual work done by the SQL Statement should be roughly the same
speed as with a native driver.

Let us know if that SQL statement works for you.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Dan Waters
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 1:27 PM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: Re: [AccessD] Move Data from SQL Table to Access FE Table

Hi Drew,

Thanks for your example - I think I'll keep it!  :-)

Some of the users of this app will be in Asia while the server is in
Minneapolis.  We've done some testing and the bandwidth between Asia and
CONUS is 1/10 that of the bandwidth inside CONUS.  In addition, ODBC
table
links have 1/10 the speed that an OLEDB provider does during a
straightforward data transfer comparison test.  Today I'm creating a
test
that will simulate part of the application, so we'll see if they can
actually get reasonable performance.

I'm using an mdb instead of an Access Project, which makes things a
little
more complicated for an unbound Access app.  I am using a specific
connection provider ("Microsoft.Access.OLEDB.10.0") which allows me to
bind
a form to a connected recordset when needed, but the app will have no
linked
tables.

So, I'm saying that I don't want to use ODBC for bandwidth reasons,
instead
of trying to avoid the complication of setting up a DSN.

What I'm simply going to do is pull over the data, then do a loop to
insert
the data into a local table.  This table only has one field and is only
done
as needed, so hopefully it's not too much of a performance hit.

Thanks!
Dan