[AccessD] VERY strange LDB issue

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Wed Dec 10 15:39:27 CST 2008

Ok folks, discovered something new.  Turns out, the odd characters are
Unicode.  So some machines (like mine, and most of our users) are
writing to the .ldb file using Unicode, some are not.  What's odd, is if
I go into the database first, Mike's machine (our report writer) will
add it's info to the .ldb just fine.

Now, the reason I was looking into this, is that we've had some odd
issues with one or two big report databases. (Databases have a few local
tables, but mainly use ODBC linked tables to our Oracle Production
database).  Very odd issues.  Reports that should run in a few seconds
taking 5 to 10 minutes to run.

The only real change made on our network is that over the Thanksgiving
weekend I moved our file server to a bigger server, but it was
'restored' to the new server, so all the setting should be the same.

Any more thoughts for database quirkiness?  I've turned off AutoCheck
and record level locking, hoping that might doing something.

I'm shooting in the dark here....

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Drew Wutka
Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2008 9:01 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: Re: [AccessD] VERY strange LDB issue

Good points.  Will add those to my to do list in the morning.

Drew

The information contained in this transmission is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain II-VI Proprietary and/or II-VI Business Sensitive material. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. You are notified that any review, retransmission, copying, disclosure, dissemination, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.