[AccessD] SQL vs Access

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 11:13:56 CST 2008

Rocky,

As Susan wrote, SQL Express is a viable option. The IT department's point
about backup and restore is well-taken, too. Since they already have a
backup strategy in place, adding one more DB to it should be trivial. Then
you (and they) can forget about it, except for the verification step, which
they probably have automated already for their other databases.

Were I you, I would acquiesce immediately on this one. You have nothing to
lose but credibility if you fight them, and an opportunity to work with SQL
Express or SQL Server.

Given this path, you should be concerned about which version and format
you'll be using. IMO the best combination is A2K or A2K3 using ADP format to
talk to a SQL 2000 db. If you try talking to a SQL 2005 db from either of
those Access versions, it works, sort of, but you miss a lot of the goodies
due to the internal restructuring of the SQL db format. OTOH if you're going
to use A2K7 then it's a good fit with SQL 2005.

hth,
Arthur