[AccessD] SQL vs Access

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Fri Feb 1 14:30:44 CST 2008

If they are backing up when people are using the system, that's bad
planning, unless your app needs to be running 24/7.  Also, corruption is
usually due to a bad network connection.

However, you're fighting an uphill battle with IT with SQL vs. Access.
Just charge them more and develop it for SQL Server.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
at Beach Access Software
Sent: Friday, February 01, 2008 10:50 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: [AccessD] SQL vs Access

Dear List:

I am looking at doing a job which is ideal for an Access back end (IMO)
but
IT would prefer a SQL back end for the reasons below.  I expressed the
opinion that SQL would be overkill.  But they are concerned about
stability
and backup.

How do I respond to this? Does he have a valid point?  The database will
have a relatively small amount of data and 4 initially and eventually up
10 users.  Light entry and update.

I think his response about it being overkill is from the perspective
that it
is a small application which normally wouldn't warrant a MS SQL license
and
overhead.  Because we already have several servers, we would not require
any
additional licenses.  The real reason we would like the MS SQL backend
is
for stability and backup purposes.  We cannot backup an Access database
the
same way we can MS SQL because it is simply a flat file and can
sometimes
not properly backup if the file is currently in use (which will be the
majority of the time).  Additionally, in the past we have had problems
with
corrupt MS Access databases when multiple people are accessing it
simultaneously.  I think it would be valuable to have him quote the
project
if it were done only in MS Access and the side-by-side comparison of the
same project with the MS SQL backend.  Please let me know if you need
further assistance in talking to Rocky about this.