[AccessD] SQL vs Access

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sat Feb 2 10:17:23 CST 2008

Databases are backed up while people are using them all of the time.  Big
transactional databases are never inactive so you have to be able to backup
when people are in them.

The problem with an Access database is that it is a file backend, not a
server be.  When people are in it the file is locked.  In the past this
prevented it from being backed up, though I do not think that is true
anymore (with shadow copy stuff).  In any case, IT sees this as a regular
file, that has to be backed up with a regular "file be backup software", and
restored the same way.  They think that it cannot be backed up if people are
in it.  With access, that means if anyone did not get out of the database at
night which happens a LOT.

In any event, it is probably a losing battle.  IT has a system, they do not
want to go creating outboard databases that they have to worry about.  They
want the Be to be a database on one of the servers which is already set up
to be backed up.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting