[AccessD] SQL vs Access

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 10:38:24 CST 2008

Back when I worked with the event-travel agency, we backed up the database 4
times per day, without ever kicking anyone off. Once our packages went on
sale, the order-takers would be in a frenzy for the first day or two, by
which time the inventory would usually be gone. In a fixed-inventory (i.e.
we have 400 tickets and cannot replenish) situation, timely backups are
crucial. I would have done backups even more frequently. The process didn't
intrude noticeably and in the worst case (which never happened, but had it,
we were ready), we'd have lost only two hours worth of data -- significant,
to be sure, but not calamitous.

There is no reason that I know to bring the server down while doing backups.
If you have a huge database, do differential backups. Ours was relatively
small, about 100MB, and backup was so quick that I didn't bother doing
differentials, I did a full backup 4 times a day.

A.