[AccessD] Weekend fun moving to Visual Studio (was: Old Dog - New Tricks)

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Fri Feb 15 11:57:12 CST 2008

Hi all

If you browse the web or some intros on how to access data in .Net, you'll meet bunches of old fashioned and primitive code dealing with connect strings and direct SQL statements.

The last link (#4, below) from Shamil is different. It starts out designing a Data Access Layer and walk you through DataSet and DataTable creation.
Although it is aimed for ASP.NET development, I've found that route very good for people like me with a background from Access as this approaches much better the world you come from where you take objects like stored queries for granted.

It takes some time to get hold on the vast amount of options, properties, wizards and designers, but I feel it pays off as you slowly experience the power of intellisense - it's amazing the level of info it offers at any occasion, including in-line data preview while debugging.

So if a long boring weekend is waiting, install the Northwind example base in SQL Server Express or CE and get started!

Thanks Shamil for this excellent link.
(As for the linked servers I will get back on this).

/gustav

>>> shamil at users.mns.ru 28-01-2008 18:12 >>>
Hello Rocky,

You can start here with ASP.NET: