[AccessD] Vista SP1

Jurgen Welz jwelz at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 19 12:40:26 CST 2008

Hmm.  4 days ago my Vista Acer 9300 play machine choked on some update and now it won't boot.  Says it doing something with update 3 of 3, 0% done, don't power down, and then reboots to the same point in an infinite loop.  Can't find a system restore point either.  I had to pull the drive to put it in an enclosure so I could get my data off.  I'll see if the restore partition is OK next weekend.

In the mean time I bought a 24" iMac for music, photo and video editing that I do.  The Apple help is as bad or worse than Microsoft help and so far, I'm not impressed with ease of use or intuitiveness.  For example, a free trial Mail online account comes with SMTP configured so that it couldn't work with my ISP and all help suggestions were ludicrous and irrelevant.  A workable solution was found at an online forum.  Similarly, I have unresolved problems getting things like Frostwire file sharing to work, though I've had it working with every Windows OS since '98.  The funny thing is, online forum help provides numerous suggestions that you get a Mac and avoid the PC firewall and port problems that I appear to be experiencing with the iMac and never had with PC.

My primary work machine is a Dell XPS with XP Pro as the Cisco VPN software still doesn't support Vista.  I keep a spare fully configured XP Pro drive as a backup drive on hand should I have any problems.  I can also get access to an identical machine within a couple days to drop the spare drive into should anything happen to this laptop.  I sourced several of the Dell XPS machines, which only come with Vista, for co-workers, removed their drives, installed new drives and set up XP-Pro and these people keep the Vista boot drive as a back up drive in a protable drive enclosure as well.  We all backup our data to the externals so that a disaster like a failed update in my Vista machine doesn't bring us down.  Dell still sells XP machines, but none have the bang for buck we've gotten with the XPS line that only comes with Vista.

Now that I've gotten an extra 2 1/2" drive enclosure for my Acer drive, I'll pick up another 200 gigabyte 7200 rpm drive and doing the same thing with it as I've done with my work machines.  I'm not sure that is was the Vista SP1 udpate that killed my machine, but the 4 days ago timing is an exact fit.CiaoJürgen WelzEdmonton, Albertajwelz at hotmail.com> From: bheid at sc.rr.com> To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com> Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2008 12:22:45 -0500> Subject: Re: [AccessD] Vista SP1> > I have installed it on my Vista Business machine and have had no issues so> far (about 4 days now). File copies do seem much faster now.> > Bobby> > -----Original Message-----> From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com> [mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of jwcolby> Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 9:57 AM> To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'> Subject: Re: [AccessD] Vista SP1> > I don't use it either yet.> > I am about to bring up virtual server and run it as a virtual machine.> > John W. Colby> Colby Consulting> www.ColbyConsulting.com > -----Original Message-----> From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com> [mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Rocky Smolin at> Beach Access Software> Sent: Monday, February 18, 2008 9:27 AM> To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'> Subject: [AccessD] Vista SP1> > > I was notified this morning by the Microsoft Partner Program that there is> an SP1 for Vista.> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb738089.aspx> > I don't use Vista yet. > > > Rocky> > > > -- > AccessD mailing list> AccessD at databaseadvisors.com> http://databaseadvisors.com/mailman/listinfo/accessd> Website: http://www.databaseadvisors.com