[AccessD] Clients and money

John Bartow john at winhaven.net
Thu Jan 10 10:05:49 CST 2008

John,
Good advice.

Since my first experience similar to this (on NT 3.1) Our $10,000 space age
Dual Pentium Pro GIS machine was acting like a 386! Had to buy Diskkeeper
(and upgrade it every service pack as NT didn't have native defragging
system calls at the time). Wasn't cheap but it restored our speedster back
to form overnight. Does anyone know if the MCSE courses are still teaching
that NTFS doesn't need defragging? Last I heard - back with NT4 MSCE they
were. What a joke.

Since then I have always had a scheduled defrag process on NT machines. Off
hours, after temporary file deletions, after backup, before other utility
processes (such as virus scans). I had to use Diskkeeper for quite awhile to
do this. Now there are many alternates that either have scheduling built in
or can be scheduled directly through NT's (and it's offspring's) scheduled
task function. Once a week whether it needs it or not (I say that tongue in
cheek - it always needs it).

You can also write one script to do it all of the maintenance routines and
schedule that one script.

John B.