[AccessD] Citrix Access Essentials and Access

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Jan 16 02:51:22 CST 2008

Hi Jim

My colleague can recommend it but points out, as I wrote, that the big difference between this and most other remote operation system is, that it provides access for the user to one single application (per session) and not some desktop. It is a huge advantage is that is what you and the client need, and users are happe not to have to fool around on remote desktops which often is confusing. On the other hand, if a remote desktop is what the client expects, this is clearly not the choice.

So, you can remotely launch an executable or a shortcut, that's it.

Printing can be set up to remote or local print.
Version 1.5 had some minor drawbacks or bugs. That's the one we have experience with. However, they should have been addressed in the current version 2.0.

As said, installation of the server is a snap, which makes it realistic to install and test an evaluation version which I believe is available.

/gustav

>>> jimdettman at verizon.net 15-01-2008 15:12:56 >>>
All,

  Anyone have *direct* experience with Access and Citrix Access Essentials?

  I have a client that uses Access 2000/2003 FE's against a SQL Server 2000
BE and is currently moving from AZ to OH.  As part of that move, their
moving to all new hardware.

  The services company taking care of the hardware is strongly suggesting
that they use Citrix Access Essentials to handle remote users.  Currently
they are using remote desktop to support remote users.  They only have a few
remote users at present (approx 5) and their will be a dedicated server to
take care of them.

  I don't have any direct experience with Citrix although I've heard good
things about it over the years.  My concerns are that it's not clear to me
exactly what/how it does things in comparison to a straight RDP session,
which I understand fairly well (even printing<g>).

  End user deployment and use will be extremely simplified as they will
access the apps through a standard web browser, but it's the under the hood
stuff that worries me.

  Any thoughts, comments, etc.

Jim.