[AccessD] OT: SQL Server 2005 & Pictures

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Jan 24 08:07:43 CST 2008

Hi Paul

If it works well, I would leave it as is - there is no "correct" method for storing pictures.

That said, I guess the picture files are small. For that scenario we once used two backend files, one for the "real" data, and one for the pictures. The picture database file contained one table only with an ID field and a picture field. The ID field was referenced in the main database file as the key to look up a picture. This worked very well; no pictures to bloat the main database file, and no thousands of small picture files floating around in hundreds of subfolders.

/gustav

>>> paul.hartland at fsmail.net 24-01-2008 14:20:09 >>>
To all,

We have an adminstration database, and a couple of months ago built a utility to scan employee's photo's.  Currently we store the photo's under an employee folder, then have sub-folders with their payroll number.  This seems to work ok, but what is the preferred way, is this method correct, or should I be storing the photo in the actual table on 2005 against their record, or would this cause too much bloat to the database ?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Paul Hartland