[AccessD] OT: SQL Server 2005 & Pictures

Gustav Brock Gustav at cactus.dk
Thu Jan 24 08:34:27 CST 2008

Hi Arthur and Paul

Microsoft seems to address this with the options in 2008 for:

  Managing Unstructured Data with SQL Server 2008

  http://www.microsoft.com/sql/techinfo/whitepapers/sql_2008_unstructured.mspx

/gustav

>>> fuller.artful at gmail.com 24-01-2008 15:08:46 >>>
You can nothing and lose plenty by embedding the photos in the DB. Bloat is
obviously a consideration, but there are others, too. Consider DB backups:
How many redundant copies of the photos do you want? Consider updating the
photos. Then you have to obtain the new photo, store it somewhere, and write
a stored procedure to update the row. If instead you put all the photos in a
directory, and store only a filepath to the particular photo in the DB, then
you can update the photos simply by copying the new one(s) to that
directory, and change nothing else. Your DB backups will be much quicker and
less redundant in content. You can make a backup of the photos directory
separately, whenever you wish.

A.