[AccessD] The expression you entered refers to an object that isclosed or doesnt exist.

Hale, Jim Jim.Hale at FleetPride.com
Fri Jan 25 10:33:15 CST 2008

This one goes in the goody bag,
Thanks John.
Jim Hale

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 2:59 AM
To: 'Access Developers discussion and problem solving'
Subject: [AccessD] The expression you entered refers to an object that
isclosed or doesnt exist.

How many of you have come across that error?

I have a system where the user selects some criteria, then a form is
opened
using that criteria.  There is a command button that is the "default"
button
(clicked if the user hits enter) which loads the form, so the user can
either click the button with the mouse or just hit enter.

I was getting "The expression you entered refers to an object that is
closed
or doesn't exist." very occasionally as the form opened.  I finally
discovered that if I tapped the enter key several times as the form
loaded,
Access sensed TWO key clicks and thus tried to open the form a second
time.
I got rid of the error with the following code:

Private Sub but_wrksht_Click()
On Error GoTo Err_but_wrksht_Click
Static blnOpening As Boolean
    If blnOpening Then Exit Sub
    blnOpening = True
    OpenClaimFrm
    blnOpening = False
Exit_but_wrksht_Click:
Exit Sub
end sub

As you can see, I create a static variable, set it to True as I pass
through
the first time and clear it again as the OpenClaimForm() finished.  If
the
click event is sensed a second time while the OpenClaimForm() is still
processing, the blnOpening is still true and the sub is exited.

What a PITA Access is sometimes.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or
other use of or taking action in reliance upon this information by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.
If you have received this email in error please contact the sender and
delete the material from any computer. As a recipient of this email,
you are responsible for screening its contents and the contents of any
attachments for the presence of viruses. No liability is accepted for
any damages caused by any virus transmitted by this email.