[AccessD] VB Express Compare to Access (was: Old Dog - NewTricks)

Doug Murphy dw-murphy at cox.net
Sun Jan 27 13:28:15 CST 2008

I remember seeing an article or editorial in one of the incarnations of the
Access Advisor / Access VB Advisor magazine by Peter Vogel who was
developing in both the Access and Visual Studio environments that said that
Access was about twice as fast to develop in as VB.Net for an equivalent
application.  I don't have the reference and my recollection was that it was
more a qualitative observation on his part as having actual metrics.

In my experimenting the biggest shortcoming in VB.Net is not being able to
creat the great reports that Access does so well.  You can purchase separate
applications to do this but that is another $500 - $1000.

I am experimenting with VS 2005 but have only build small Win forms apps to
date, no data connections.  For web work ASP.NET is the only way to go in
the Windows world.

Doug