[AccessD] Old Dog - New Tricks

Jim Dettman jimdettman at verizon.net
Sun Jan 27 16:12:22 CST 2008

Rocky,

  I strayed away from Access a while back and moved to VFP, which offered a
lot of advantages:

  Faster database engine
  OOP
  Standalone EXE creation

  However it clearly showed it's command line roots; many of the visual
designers were lacking and there was an overall lack of coherence in the
product.

  But now Microsoft has killed that and I too am looking for the next best
thing.

  I'd really like to leverage my VFP skills and have been looking at DABO
(http://dabodev.com/), which is a framework written on top of Python, and is
up and coming.  It's certainly not ready for prime time IMHO, but it's
actively being worked on by to ex-VFP'ers and at some point, might be a
killer framework/language combination (it's cross platform).

  My fear though is by the time is gets to the level where I'd want to use
it, the world will have passed me by, so I'm starting to explore VB.net.

  And once again, having to learn to do the same things (from a
concept/application point of view) in a different way all over again<g>

Jim.