[AccessD] Old Dog New Tricks

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at Marlow.com
Mon Jan 28 15:30:16 CST 2008

I couldn't agree with you more Tony.  A caveat to that is the longevity
of a web interface.  The problem with an Access interface is that Access
is part of Office, so if a company upgrades their version of office,
there may be conflicts with the Access databases they use.

For example, we had several Access 97 databases in use when I started
working here in 2000.  In 2006, we finally moved from Office 97 to
Office 2003 (ya, I know, took a while).  When we did, every single 97
Access interface had to be upgraded, however, the many systems I built
with a 97 backend and a web interface didn't have to be touched.  We can
thank the internet for that.  There is so much on the internet, it would
be nearly impossible to force the entire web to upgrade.  Yes, things
have changed on the web.  Frames are frowned upon now, but they are
still supported.

Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com] On Behalf Of Tony Septav
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 2:18 PM
To: Access Developers discussion and problem solving
Subject: [AccessD] Old Dog New Tricks

Hey All
Ah yes where to go next.
My question is, if you can provide a client with a simple, clean,
powerful and effiicient program, then really what does it matter what
development language you use.  I hate to say it but I have to, ACCESS
has not let me down so far.
Side Note: None of my clients have requested Internet availability

I know, I know this old dog will probably have dinosaurs dancing on his
grave.