[AccessD] OT: FOXPRO compact decrease dbf size - important

Arthur Fuller fuller.artful at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 10:08:22 CST 2008

It's not a shame that FoxPro doesn't have a compact command, since its file
format doesn't suffer the bloat issue. As for the data itself, when you
issue a DELETE in Fox, all that actually happens is that a hidden flag
column marks the record for deletion. This permits UNDELETE (known in the
command language as RECALL). The PACK command forcibly deletes records
marked for deletion. As for the REINDEX command, it reorganizes the pages of
the index, thus returning disk space to the operating system. Index
fragmentation occurs when the data is updated frequently.

hth,
Arthur