[AccessD] 2007<-->2003

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Wed Jan 30 12:07:26 CST 2008

Rocky,

I would suggest that you set up virtual machines.  Each machine can be set
up as having its own network interface card and to appear on your network as
a real machine with an IP address.  Once you do that then you work on some
machine, such as your laptop, with the virtual machines running on some
other machine.  You set up remote desktop so that you can RD into the
alternate machine.  It is quite possible to do this across the web, i.e. on
Mark's system, though I would only recommend that on an emergency basis if
you need to get something working "right now" and didn't have the expertise
to do so.  I RD into all of my clients and it is quite functional as long as
they have a high speed internet, and SUCKS if they don't have enough
bandwidth.

Once you get virtual machines set up (at your office), you can "turn them on
and off" just like real machines.  They are usually largish files, 10g to 20
gig each.  You could set up virtual machines with "scenarios" if you needed
to.  XP with Office 2003, XP with Office 2007, Vista with Office 2003, Vista
with 2007 etc.  Each one is just a file sitting on a large hard drive and
"turned on" when you need to test on that scenario.  RD in and go to town.
With machines like this you should be able to share directories and the
whole nine yards, so you could transfer large files (databases) by just
dragging and dropping into the RD shared directory.

Let us know if you do this and how it works for you.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting