[AccessD] Connection string to web mdb

steve scapistrant at symphonyinfo.com
Wed Jul 2 08:26:24 CDT 2008

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience in making a live connection from local MDB
to a web-server MDB?  I've looked at all the connection string examples in
AccessD archives, and at http://www.connectionstrings.com, and similar
websites.  Most seem focused on connecting to an MDB on the LAN.

-----------
I have successfully connected using a "local mdb to a web-based SQL Server"
setup:

Step 1: Run a pass-through query to open/refresh the connection.  The
query's connection string is:

ODBC;Description=DescripOfMyAccessDatabaseOnWebServer;DRIVER=SQL
Server;SERVER=70.90.79.73;UID=MyLoginName;PWD=MyPassword;DATABASE=NameOfMyDa
tabaseInSQLServerOnWebServer

Step 2:  Each table link has a connection string of:

ODBC;Description=DescripOfMyAccessDbOnRemoteWebServer;DRIVER=SQL
Server;SERVER=70.90.79.73;UID=MyLoginName;APP=MicrosoftR
Access;WSID=NameOfMyLocalComputer;DATABASE=
NameOfMyDatabaseInSQLServerOnWebServer;TABLE=MyTableName
-----

The only code I have found for a "local mdb to web-based mdb" setup is:

"Provider=MS Remote; Remote Server=http://Your-Remote-Server-IP; Remote
Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data
Source=c:\App1\Your_Database_Name.mdb"

But I can't make it work.  I also read that this approach is no longer
supported by Microsoft, but is supposed to still work, at least for now.
Does it require creating a DSN?  Where am I going wrong?
--------

Any tips? Thank you!

Steve Capistrant
Email: s.t.capistrant at gmail.com