[AccessD] Weekend OT: Russia today by seven years oldboy'seyes...

Shamil Salakhetdinov shamil at smsconsulting.spb.ru
Sat Jul 26 11:25:46 CDT 2008

Hi Arthur,

I think it should get translated well in Russian language as Russian
language is melodic e.g. I'd say this T.S. Elliot gem:

<<<

A DEDICATION TO MY WIFE
by T.S. Eliot

To whom I owe the leaping delight
That quickens my senses in our wakingtime
And the rhythm that governs the repose of our sleepingtime,
the breathing in unison.
Of lovers whose bodies smell of each other
Who think the same thoughts without need of speech,
And babble the same speech without need of meaning...

No peevish winter wind shall chill
No sullen tropic sun shall wither
The roses in the rose-garden which is ours and ours only

But this dedication is for others to read:
These are private words addressed to you in public.

translated to Russian (here in the bottom of the page
http://www.classic-book.ru/lib/al/book/509 ) sounds even more impressive and
tempting than original at least for me, probably because Russian is my
native language...

I can't find professional translation of "A Martian Sends a Postcard Home" -
I'm sorry what T.S.Elliot book is it from?

I can try translate by myself but professional translation should be much
better...

I suppose you will like Osip Mandelstam (English:
http://lib.ru/POEZIQ/MANDELSHTAM/tristia_engl.txt (Russian originals are
here: http://lib.ru/POEZIQ/MANDELSHTAM/tristia.txt )) verses:

***

It's so my own and so familiar. What should
I do with this God-given flesh and blood?

For joys so quiet as to live and breathe,
Who will receive my gratitude for these?

I'm both the gardener and flower one,
In this world's dungeons I am not alone.

On the glass of the eternal one can see
The traces of my breath and of the warmth of me.

Henceforth it bears a pattern which is mine
Even to me unknown from recent times.

Let it be drained, the turmoil of the day -
The lovely pattern won't be crossed away.

--
Shamil