[AccessD] Slow day - normalization discusion

William Hindman wdhindman at dejpolsystems.com
Wed Jun 18 12:34:19 CDT 2008

...I suspect what you are looking at is a design implemented in the days
when area code changes were becoming common place and this design addresses
that particular need and nothing else.

...I have to deal with thousands of foreign numbers which have to be
formatted precisely in order to take advantage of the automated dialing in
fax systems among other needs ...that requires a much more sophisticated
format and validation lest the client get cops showing up at his door in
response to his trying to send a fax to a 911 area code in India.

...but if the current format you have meets all your client's current and
probable future needs, I'd leave it be ...breaking out the 3 digits in the 7
digit local number tells you nothing these days ...unlike the old days a 708
exchange number can be next door to a 402 and thus no longer conveys any
useful data beyond the number itself.

William
"Sen. McCain will bring a lifetime of experience to the campaign...  Sen.
Obama will bring a speech that he gave." Hillary Clinton