[AccessD] Archiving Records

Susan Harkins ssharkins at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 09:02:08 CDT 2008

> Is there an easy way to do this without creating a copy of each records by
> looping through each field in the source record to create the target
> record
> and then writing it to the target database?

=======The simplest way is to leave the record where it is and flag it as
active/inactive, whatever. Then, update all your queries to accommodate this
value. I realize this isn't a good solution if the problem is resources. If
resources aren't a problem, I wouldn't go to the trouble to actually move
records.

The next option is to come up with some condition -- the record's date is
usually a good one -- to use as criteria for moving the records to an
archive table -- you don't have to loop through anything, just use a SQL
INSERT INTO to "append" a recordset to an existing table -- it's the same as
an Append query. Then, use the same action with a Delete query on the
original source.

You just need some kind of anchor to identify the records you want to
archive (move).

Susan H.