[AccessD] Access Table data replaced with ##### in some fields

Alan Enberg enberga001 at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Mar 2 21:06:59 CST 2008

Darryl,

For the past year I've experienced this, managing 3 Access mdbs for one
company. Each mdb has about 10-20 users. From what I've read it does seem to
be a network issue. Variants I've seen of the '####' are every field
replaced with oriental characters, or one or more fields with '#ERROR'. It
does seem to occur most often when users are editing memo fields.

I find that if you have a numeric PKID (I almost always use auto-number),
the key ID will often still be there...but the index will be hosed, so
Access doesn't know it's there.

So far, I've only had one record at a time get corrupted. If you can
determine the key ID, say by looking at the previous and next records, you
may be able to restore the individual record instead of the entire database,
so you avoid losing all the edits since the last backup. Of course, if the
db has many tables with dependent records, this may not be practical.

I haven't yet found a solution to this either. Since the index error can
make any further record searches fail (essentially stopping all production)
and the only solution (I know of) is to get all the users out, compact &
repair, delete the offending record(s) then restore them, I wonder how
clients with no on-site db manager deal with it. There's doubtless been many
threads related to this over the years, but I'd be interested to know how
others have dealt with it. Are there any programming methods/trick to avoid
this?

Alan Enberg