[AccessD] Msadodc.ocx - or not

Jim Lawrence accessd at shaw.ca
Mon Mar 10 21:40:17 CDT 2008

Hi Roz:

I have used these controls ADO-OLE for years (since 1997) but generally with
MS SQL databases. There is no advantage to using these with MDB as they are
not as optimized.

These controls should work in any Windows environment. They install by
default and are stored within your Program Files directory > common files >
System > ADO. I found these controls great as no matter where a remote
system was setup the applications would always work without any further
management. That is why I find it hard to believe they do not work in your
current environment.

Another good reason to use them other than they are so standardized
virtually the same code will work with any Oracle, MS SQL and MDB
database... or any DB for that matter

There is also a whole group of great ADO functionality available like
steaming controls for images, video and large files and data shaping
capabilities (pseudo cubes and data arrays) that are very fast.

I would recommend you get this common directory block installed on your new
system and get the latest MSADOxxx files registered. It would be far better
than having to redo all the code and still not have a superior product.

HTH
Jim