[AccessD] Friday musings

Roz Clarke zora_db at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 21 08:38:03 CDT 2008

It's all in the name. 'Easter' is derived from the Germanic goddess Ostara or Eostre (who also gives us 'oestregen') - far from being an add-in, it predates Christianity by centuries. It is a celebration of the Spring Equinox (and fertility rites are obviously associated with spring). Some people report that Eostre was symbolised or accompanied by a rabbit or a hare, and there is a story that it was orginally a bird that she transformed into an egg-laying rabbit.

The Wikipedia entry on Easter claims Easter eggs are evidence of secularisation, but I'm tempted to call them out on it - the entry on the Easter Bunny is more balanced. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Bunny