[AccessD] OT:Backup and Restore Complete PCs

jwcolby jwcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Mar 21 13:56:47 CDT 2008

That is what I mean.  To "backup" AFAIK all you have to do is to copy the
directory itself that contains the virtual machine files.  And of course to
restore, or even just to move to another machine entirely, just copy that
same directory.  The host machine obviously has to have VMWare server
running on it (to run VMWare virtual machines).

Now, to backup the INSIDE of the virtual machine you would need to do
regular old backup from the running virtual machine.

This method has some ups and downs.  The ups are that you can literally move
your machine to ANY other machine that has enough disk space to hold the VM
files.  Disk space is an important gotcha, however a fairly minor one.  In
fact the VM can run on a Linux host machine, or a Windows XP host, or a
Windows server host etc.  My understanding is that a Linux machine is
actually the most efficient simply because it uses the fewest resources for
the host, the smallest memory footprint, the least unnecessary junk etc.  I
for one would LIKE to go with a Linux host but am very hesitant to do so
because of the familiarity issue.

One other thing to keep in mind is that a VM has horrendous graphics because
it emulates a very basic graphics controller.  No 3D stuff etc.  Games
simply will not run on these virtual machines.  But for doing your normal
office / web browsing and even development stuff they are fine.  Their
overhead is amazingly minimal.  And, you can run several VMs at once with
sufficient host hardware and memory and a small enough VM Memory
requirement.  I have a fairly powerful server which runs a quad core
processor and 8 gigs of RAM.  I run Windows 2003 x64 on that machine and it
will host two very powerful VMs simultaneously.

Which does bring up another limitation of VMs however, that being that with
VMWare VMs you can only assign two cores to the VM.  With the windows stuff
I believe you can only assign a single core.

I am amazed and impressed with VMs and what they can be used for. In fact
today I am looking at getting my laptop moved to a VM, then reinstalling XP
onto the laptop and running my current environment inside of a VM from now
on.

To take my laptop as an example, it has a dual core processor and 2 gigs of
RAM and a 120 gig hard drive.  I could throw the entire machine into a VM
with a 100g "virtual drive", and then run it on the same laptop running a
very basic XP install.  The 100g VM drive would fit in the 120g real drive,
leaving about 20 gigs for the basic XP install.  I could probably assign 2
cores and 1.5 gigs of ram to the VM, leaving .5 gigs to the host XP system.
That is a pretty powerful system even inside of the VM.  OTOH If I ever need
to send the laptop in to be fixed I could copy off the VM onto my big server
and run "my laptop" on the server with 4 gigs of ram and dual cores, leaving
4 gigs to the host to run the SQL Server instance I have running on it etc.

BTW, each machine gets an IP address and can be seen on the internal network
as a real machine.  If you are running XP Pro you could remote desktop in to
a VM running on the   server from any other machine on the network.  This
gives you a great deal of flexibility on how to control your systems.

I have a client who is looking at distributing a database using two virtual
machines, pre setup "at the factory".  Have a VM running a database FE and a
VM running a database BE.  The FE virtual machines can be delivered already
set up, the Be machine already having SQL Server lite or MySQL or an MDB set
up and functioning.  The FE then has everything needed to run it.  Drop the
two VMs on a machine and "link" the FE application to the database running
on the BE VM.  This allows him to make changes to the FE VM and ship that
new VM to the client.  The BE is embedded in a BE VM and is not touched by
him. To the network ADMIN it looks like two new machines on the network.

Cool stuff really.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting